Riad is a highly respected and experienced fraud, regulatory and criminal defence lawyer specialising in serious and complex criminal and regulatory investigations and prosecutions brought by the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), the National Crime Agency (NCA), Serious Fraud Office (SFO), HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC), the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) amongst many others.
Riad is especially regarded by his loyal client base of individuals and companies alike, who value his expertise, discretion, high standards of client care and tenacious attitude in defending their cases. This is supported by his solid track record of successful defence wins ranging from arguing that cases should have no further action by the police or be discontinued by the prosecution, as well as preparing successful abuse of process arguments and securing acquittals at trial. Indeed, Riad has built his client base up purely through reputation and personal recommendations. In addition, Riad is regularly referred serious and complex defence matters by UK and international law firms and barristers chambers whose clients require his expert legal advice. His excellent connections also ensure that the country’s leading defence barristers and experts are on hand to represent and support his clients.
The nature of Riad’s cases include high profile and high value, national and cross-border matters such as:
- Conspiracies including to defraud, to supply drugs
- Criminal fraud including banking, carousel, boiler room, investment, mortgage, insurance, land, diversion, NHS, trading, Ponzi scheme and short and long term frauds
- Civil fraud, director or corporate wrongdoing and governance, asset forfeiture and recovery
- Cyber crime and internet fraud
- Company investigations, cartel offences, insider dealing, market abuse, rate fixing and other FCA investigations and proceedings
- Bribery and corruption matters including cross-border
- Investigations brought by the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA)
- Disqualification of directors, VAT & Duties Tribunals
- Evasions of taxes including VAT, Duty and PAYE and the suppression of income
- False documents, false accounting, false returns and deception
- Counterfeiting and forgery
- High value theft
- Money laundering offences
- Cash seizures and Restraint (Freezing) Orders
- Large scale drug trafficking, sham marriages and people trafficking
- Business Regulatory Law including breaches of Health and Safety, corporate manslaughter, Food Safety, Trading Standards, consumer protection, licensing breaches and Environmental Law
- Extradition, European Arrest Warrants (EAW) and Interpol Red Notices
- Judicial Review
- Appeals against conviction and sentence
Riad’s clients are located throughout England and Wales and also include foreign nationals currently under investigation or being prosecuted within the United Kingdom. Riad can be instructed via private, insurance and legal aid (where available) funding avenues.